Business and Mission
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.— Colossians 3:17, NIV
In one simple sentence, the Apostle Paul captures our calling as disciples. We each have an enduring, daily mission – to say and do everything in Jesus’ name, and to be thankful for the blessing and privilege to do so. His people are called to deeds AND words.
At MDE, we’re called to Business AND Mission, often referred to as BAM. There are many millions around the globe, in the least reached places, who will never encounter the gospel through typical evangelistic methods. In fact, they’re often forbidden in these areas. Courageous and faithful BAM entrepreneurs (BAMers) go and build thriving businesses there to portray in “deed” the gospel life as they serve their community, employ local workers, and build relationships. “Words” follow as the Holy Spirit allows.
Successful BAM ventures:
- Allow believers to engage communities where “religious workers” are not allowed or not accepted.
- Provide avenues for authentic relationships to develop and for faith to be lived out and explained in real-life situations.
- Provide a model of compassion and care — meeting multiple needs in an unreached community.
- Provide sustainable financial support system for the BAMer and other individuals in the local community
God is providing “regular” Christians with unprecedented access and opportunities, using their marketplace skills, to bring the presence and message of Jesus to the people they live among. MDE provides the support services BAMers need to plant, grow, and thrive.
Here are some of the services we provide our BAM members:
Business Support Services
- Dedicated Business Mentor
- Faculty of Advisors
- Advice, counsel, and coaching as needed
- Access to knowledgeable, passionate, and experienced business experts from multiple disciplines
- Accounting support/systems
- Capital/fundraising advice
- Dedicated project management platform
- Legal advice/counsel
- Operational structures in U.S. and country of operations
Missional & Personal Support Services
- Dedicated Mission Mentor
- Personal assessment (skills, personality, language aptitude, etc.)
- Mobilization/teaming support
- Missional coaching, mentoring, and accountability
- Personal encouragement/care support (pastoral, child education, spiritual development, conflict resolution, etc.)
- Coordination/logistical support (travel, on-field arrival, visas, etc.)
- Security and crisis support
- Financial counseling, benefits, insurance
Training and Other Resources
- Business plan development
- Entrepreneurship and basic business training
- Marketing and distribution
- Cross-cultural adaptation
- Language learning
- Church-planting strategies
- Evangelism and discipleship
- Spiritual formation